The sites here are a list of online marketplaces in India. Of course, online marketplaces like eBay are the biggest on the web today, let us also look at some of the other sites that exist using the marketplace model. Small brands, as well as bigger vendors have quickly realized that being listed on online marketplaces is their best bet towards higher sale. No other medium other than the internet gives them the same reach or recognition as being listed in high traffic marketplaces in India.
Many sellers have in fact started their own online portal after observing the success they received at the various online marketplaces in India. So they sell at their own portal as well as on other online marketplaces. An example of one such brand is India Circus.
The consumer also benefits from online marketplaces in India, as they get access to a lot of kitsch products and other less easily available brands. Also, these sellers provide high-quality products at lesser prices than the branded ones; a buyer is spoiled for choice in terms of variety and range when they come to an online marketplace to shop. It is indeed a win-win scenario for the seller, buyer as well as the online marketplace.
How does the online marketplace system work?
The online marketplace system works on the commission system. A marketplace usually lists a seller’s products for free on their website. And whenever, the website manages to make a sale for the seller’s item, the website claims a negotiated percentage of commission.
Here is the list of online marketplaces in India:
1) Craftsvilla: This online marketplace lists sellers for Indian jewellery, ethnic clothing such as Sarees, Bridal Lehenga, Salwar Suits as well as home decor.
2) eBay: This is the biggest marketplace worlwide and is a leader in marketplace model. A seller having almost any product whether footwear, electronics or handicraft, can list themselves on eBay.
3) IndiaTimes: Another big online marketplace in India that is owned by Times Internet. A seller can list themselves in an array of categories such as electronics, clothing, home products, gifts and many others.
4) Rediff Shopping: As big as IndiaTimes shopping, Rediff is owned by Rediff India and also serves as a marketplace that caters to a wide range of categories.
5) Homeshop18: HomeShop18 is owned by India’s media conglomerates Network18. They are a huge marketplace of sellers and offer a big range of categories such as appliances, clothing, beauty and many more.
6) Tradus: An important marketplace player in India, held by Ibibo Web Pvt. Ltd., they have recently also dabbled into grocery apart from all other categories that sites like HomeShop18, eBay and Flipkart offer.
7) Flipkart: They are India’s most popular online marketplace. Only recently, they have converted themselves into a marketplace model from a warehouse model. It has one of the largest catalogs and huge number of sellers list their items at Flipkart.
8) Infibeam: An online marketplace just like Flipkart, Homeshop18, Indiatimes etc.
9) LimeRoad: They are an online marketplace that sells products only related to women, such as, women’s clothing, footwear, handbags and fashion accessories.
10) eGully: This site sells products on categories such as books, electronics, software, beauty and health related items. They do not list sellers of fashion apparels. Software is a unique category that they have entered in.
11) Pepperfry: Pepperfy is an online marketplace purely for home related products such as furniture, furnishings, kitchen, home decor and the like. A unique category that they have is pet supplies, that users can order from them.
12) Rangiru: Rangiru is a marketplace quintessentially for quirky and kitsch products. Sellers who sell such items can list themselves at Rangiru under their jewellery, handbags, clothing, footwear or home products category.
13) Koovs: A fashion apparels related online marketplace that caters to both men and women. They offer fashion apparels and accessories from a wide variety of sellers from across India.
14) ShopNineteen: A women’s only fashion apparel and accessories online marketplace.
15) StyleTag: An online marketplace for men and women fashion products. They also have a category for home and lifestyle products.
16) Snapdeal: Snapdeal is backed by eBay and follows a marketplace model to aggressively sell on all categories such as clothing, accessories, home, health suppliments and electronics. One of the most high-traffic marketplaces in India and definitely recommended for all sellers to list themselves at this site.
17) Shopclues: They are one of the leading marketplaces in India for merchants to sell online. They are present in all verticals such as electronics, beauty, clothing etc.
18) Amazon: The latest entrant into the online marketplaces in India. Although, Amazon is a world-leader in ecommerce and prefer a warehousing model in India also, the FDI rules prohibit them from doing so and hence, they are also operating as an online marketplace. They have only entered in 2014 and are already a dominant force in the industry, competing against the likes of Flipkart, Snapdeal and eBay.
This list is most useful for vendors who are looking to showcase their products at various online marketplaces. All of these sites receive a good amount of traffic via targeted ads as well as organic search. Therefore, you can be sure to get good exposure and subsequent sales for your brand if you list your products in the above portals.
Have I missed any or do you have any comments to add to this article? Let me know in the comments below.